Thursday, August 12, 2010

It takes two, baby.

My relationship with our Save-The-Dates goes waaaay back.  As in, long before we were engaged.  I saw this post on Weddingbee, by Miss Nachos, who admittedly copied Mrs. Piglet, about boarding pass STD's.  Here's the Piglet version:

Photobucket

I decided I must have them - Vegas-style of course.  Little did I know I had to have two complete sets of them.

The very first project on the wedding DIY schedule was the boarding pass STD's.  I slaved away at the design of these babies on Microsoft Word for a few weeks before I finally came up with a design we were happy with.  Even though we knew they wouldn't be mailed until July or August, we took them to kinko's and got them printed, and spent two fabulous night cutting, taping, folding and embossing. 
My boys hard at work:
Photobucket
Photobucket

They sat, completely sealed, in their custom-made wrap-around labels, on our computer desk for the next two months...with the exception of the one boarding pass magnet we kept on our fridge...

I had to look at that thing every time I opened the fridge (which is a lot, based on how much weight I need to lose).  And the more I looked at it, the more it daunted me with its imperfections.  Did I mention that I'm a perfectionist?? Well if not, here's the first glimpse at the evidence.

About three weeks ago, I broke down and confessed to my super-patient fiance that I hated our STD's.

I expected him to tell me, "tough shit, they're done and ready to be mailed, get over your craziness."  Ahhh...but he loves me.  And somehow, completely unknown to me, the man just gets me...and so he lovingly said that we could redo them from top to bottom if I wasn't satisfied. Gosh I love him.

After another night or two of designing, cutting, folding and tying (no embossing), we had a happy little pile of these:

Photobucket
Photobucket

I don't want to reveal pictures of either design until everyone has received the final product, but I will say that I was much happier with Round Two.  Still not perfect, but perfect enough for people who aren't as crazy as I am. :)  I'm sure nobody will take into account the fact that they were completely handmade twice, as they glance at them for ten secoonds and (hopefully) stick them on their fridge...but at least I'm happy with the one I get to stare at every time I get a craving for something yummy.

P.S.  Our STD's are not the only DIY project that has already been done more than once.  But we'll talk about that later, after enough time has passed for you all to reasonably forget about my craziness. :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I am happy about calling them STD's... that's just me though! ;-)

    BTW I got mine, and it is beautiful! You are so creative and talented girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now I have to wonder if the one I got was the original, or the final ones? It was beautiful, though! Dare I say, it was as perfect as I have ever seen! You are so talented, and I had no idea you did ALL of that yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! And Mariah, you got one of the originals...we didn't redo them until long after you guys had moved. I did have a new one for you, but I can't give it to you anymore - I'll explain later!! I'm glad you love the first one :)

    ReplyDelete